Duct leaks can cause several problems in your Charleston, SC, home’s HVAC system. Not only do they let the conditioned air escape, but they can also allow dust, dirt, and other contaminants to enter the system. As a result, your energy bills will rise and your system’s efficiency will decrease, not to mention potential health hazards from breathing dirty air. That’s why it’s important to have a plan for HVAC maintenance before, during, and after any duct leaks.
What Is HVAC Maintenance?
What comes to mind when you think of HVAC maintenance? Chances are, you’re thinking about tune-ups. While tune-ups are an important part of HVAC maintenance, they are not the only thing you need to do to keep your system running smoothly. In fact, there are three main components to HVAC maintenance: routine inspections, cleaning and servicing, and tune-ups.
- Routine Inspections: A routine inspection should be done at least once a year, especially if your system is used heavily or is aging. During this inspection, technicians will check the system for any potential problems and ensure it is functioning correctly.
- Cleaning and Servicing: You should also have your HVAC system cleaned and serviced at least once a year. This involves cleaning the coils, fans, and other parts of the system and checking for potential problems.
- Tune-ups: A tune-up should be done at least once every two years, or more often if your system is aging or used heavily. A tune-up involves checking all of the components of the system and making sure they are functioning correctly.
Causes of Duct Leaks
Some of the causes of duct leaks include:
Lose or Damaged Ducts
The elbows and joints in your ductwork can become loose over time, creating a weak spot where the duct can easily tear or leak.
How the network of pipes and ducts is installed can also play a role in creating leaks. If the installer does not consider things like the weight of the ducts or the movement of the house, it can lead to problems down the road.
Dirt and Dust Buildup
Over time, dirt and dust can build up on the ducts and cause them to become clogged. This can lead to increased pressure and, eventually, a leak.
If there is a pressure imbalance in the system, it can cause the ducts to leak. This can be caused by things like a clogged air filter or a malfunctioning blower.
The seals around the ducts can become brittle and break over time, leading to a leak.
If your HVAC system is more than 10 years old, it’s likely to have some duct leaks. As systems age, the parts wear down and become more susceptible to problems.
HVAC Service Before Duct Leaks
The best way to deal with a duct leak is to prevent it from happening in the first place. This means having a regular Charleston, SC home, HVAC maintenance schedule, and sticking to it. Some of the things you should check during your routine inspections include:
- Ducts and Vents: Ensure the ducts and vents are properly sealed and that there is no dirt or dust buildup.
- Coils: Check the coils for dirt, dust, and other contaminants. Clean them if necessary.
- Fans: Make sure the fans are clean and free of debris.
- Motors: Check the motors for dirt and dust buildup. Clean them if necessary.
Benefits of HVAC Service Before Leaks
There are several benefits to having HVAC service before duct leaks occur, including:
- Prevention of duct leaks: A well-maintained system is less likely to leak. Additionally, you can catch small problems before they turn into big ones with a regular HVAC maintenance schedule.
- Reduced energy costs: A clean and well-tuned system runs more efficiently, saving you money on your energy bills.
- Reduced maintenance costs: A well-maintained system requires less maintenance, saving you money in the long run.
HVAC Service During Duct Leaks
If you do find a duct leak, don’t panic. There are things you can do to minimize the damage and keep your system running as smoothly as possible. Here are some of the services emergency technicians offer during a duct leak:
- Duct inspection- The first thing emergency technicians will do is check the cause of the duct leak.
- Leak repair: After identifying the problem, they repair any leaks in your ductwork, restoring proper airflow.
- Duct sealing: Any leaks in your ductwork are sealed to help prevent further damage.
- Duct cleaning: The coils, fans, and other parts of your system are cleaned to help minimize the damage.
- Pressure balancing: The pressure in your system is balanced to help keep it running smoothly.
Benefits of HVAC Service During Leaks
Emergency HVAC services come in handy when your system is leaking. Emergency technicians can help you get your system back up and running as quickly as possible. Some of the benefits of emergency HVAC service during duct leaks include:
- Quick response time: You won’t have to wait long for a technician to arrive and start repairing the damage.
- Prevents further damage: Neglecting a duct leak can further damage your system. Getting emergency services immediately can help restore things in order.
- Minimizes lost productivity: Duct leaks can cause a decrease in productivity. Emergency services help get your system up and running as quickly as possible, minimizing any lost productivity.
HVAC Service After Duct Leaks
If a duct leak has already occurred, it is important to have it repaired as soon as possible. However, it is also important to take steps to prevent future leaks. If the system was repaired, you will need routine maintenance to make sure everything is still functioning correctly. On the other hand, if the system was replaced, you need to make sure the new system is properly installed and maintained. After a few weeks, it is advisable to have a technician come in to check if the system is functioning properly and make any necessary adjustments.
Contact the Experts
If you need any Charleston, SC home, HVAC ductwork services before, during, or after duct leaks, Morelli Heating and Air Conditioning are here to help. We have a team of experienced and qualified technicians who can take care of all your ductwork needs. We handle all your HVAC concerns, from installation, repairs, to annual maintenance. Get in touch with us by giving us a call or scheduling an appointment today!
Excellent! Please Rate us 5-stars
...and leave a helpful review.
Would you recommend Morelli Heating and Air?